skip to content

Get Help

Local support

Personal Cases arise when a member has difficulty with their employment. These problems include issues arising from: probation, CDSA, performance, absence, ill-health, leave issues, work-related stress and bullying and harassment. Instead of trying to deal with problems alone union members can contact the branch for advice and support. We have several trained personal caseworkers based centrally and around the country, including ALs. You probably won’t be the first person to approach the branch with a particular issue, so we have a great deal of experience to draw on.

The examples of problems quoted above are covered by the various policies and procedures the University has in place. Most problems can be dealt with via advice to the member on their rights under these policies, and what to do to protect them. The advice can be given by e-mail, phone, or in person, whichever is most appropriate to the enquirer. However, there are occasions when the union representative accompanies the member to a meeting with their unit and/or HR, perhaps to “clear the air” via informal means. Regretfully, there are occasions when the caseworker has to be present at formal proceedings to ensure the member is adequately represented and defended, as for example, in probation review meetings. Happily, we manage to sort most problems via informal methods but we are extremely effective at the formal ones as well.

So, if you do want any advice on employment related problems, contact us – your case will be treated in confidence when you contact us.

telephone: 01908 6(53069)
visit: Room 015, Wilson C block, Walton Hall campus

Further information on OU UCU Casework is on our casework page.
October 2016 - we are going to start using a Casework request form, please complete the form here and send it by email to .

NB: Non-members please note - while individual caseworkers may agree to give initial advice on your problem, they are not obligated to do so.

All staff in Higher Education can use services provided by the Education Support partnership (formerly called Recourse and before that they were the College and University Support Network CUSN.) Whatever you need, they are there for you 24/7. Their free and confidential helpline can help with any issues, personal or professional, to get you back on track.
CALL: 08000 562 561
TEXT: 07909 341229

There is information on the Wellbeing service offered to all Open University staff on the OU intranet at this address: