OUBUCU Website Homepage
Welcome to the Open University Branch of the University and College Union (OUBUCU).
If you are employed in an academic (including Associate Lecturer), Academic-Related or Research or Research Student role by the Open University, UCU is the union for you.
DO IT TODAY - join UCU!
Campaign: Save OU Regions
- press release about the possible closure of 7 OU regional centres is now on our News page
Open University regional centre closures - please sign the petition opposing the closures
at this address: http://speakout.web.ucu.org.uk/open-university-regional-centre-closures/
Protecting your interests
We represent staff in those grades collectively in respect of the university. That means that we have an important role to play in protecting YOUR interests in YOUR employment – salary, conditions, professional concerns, and individual problems. Maintaining a strong union is the best way to ensure that you and your colleagues in the university enjoy the best rewards and conditions in your work at the Open University. And to do that, we need members!
10 reasons to join the University and College Union
- Support throughout your career...from free professional development courses to confidential advice if you have a problem at work.
- The voice of the profession...we campaign on a range of issues including job security, academic freedom and workload.
- Every day our trained local representatives... backed by full-time UCU officials, help to resolve hundreds of problems.
- UCU’s excellent legal scheme...provided by specialist employment lawyers, gives members access to professional legal advice, covering employment rights, personal injury and police enquiries.
- Developing your career... free professional development courses including classroom management and how to write a research grant application: http://cpd.web.ucu.org.uk
- With almost 110,000 members...we are the largest post-school education union in the world.
- A network that includes...academics, lecturers, trainers, instructors, researchers, managers, administrators, computer staff, librarians and postgraduates.
- Recourse offers 24/7 support...for workplace and personal issues from counselling and coaching to financial support. Tel 0808 802 0304 or www.recourse.org.uk
- Our monthly fees start as low as £1... most members can claim tax relief on 67% of the subscription, which reduces the cost even more! For our current subscription rates see: www.ucu.org.uk/subscriptions
- UCU believes in an education system which helps people... to reach their full potential. We oppose privatisation and campaign for increased public investment to bring us in line with our global competitors,
The Open University branch of the University and College Union can be contacted at:
The Open University
Room 015, Wilson C